A severe storm can cause massive property damage. As a homeowner, you need to take the right steps, so as to ensure the safety of your family and reduce the extent of losses. In this post, we will talk about nine steps that you must consider following storm damage.
- Do not panic. There’s nothing you can do to avoid the scenario. Instead of worrying, focus on things that need immediate attention.
- Be safe. Check with neighbors or local authorities to know the current situation. Sometimes, strong winds and heavy rains are expected after a storm, and you need to be indoors, as long as there are no official announcements.
- Vacate your house. Not every storm is extensively damaging, but it is best to vacate the house. Take your kids, older parents and pets to a safer place, until you are sure that your property is safe for use.
- Inspect your surroundings. Storms, hurricanes and water leaks cause massive harm to your property, which may include structural damage, as well. If it’s safe, take a look around to find possible signs of such issues.
- Call for help. There are companies that offer assistance with storm damage San Francisco CA. Try to find a few reputable names in your area and hire a service that’s quick to respond and doesn’t delay in offering assistance.
- Check for water damage. After a storm, you need to check your home, especially the ground floor and basement for water logging problems. If possible, cut off the main water supply of the house to prevent further flooding.
- Be careful about wires. If you see sparking wires or exposed electrical boards, cut off the main power supply immediately. Wait for help to arrive, especially if you suspect electrical issues. Do not use any of the devices, gadgets and appliance until checked by professionals.
- Note everything. Yes, you don’t want to behind with your insurance claim. Most storm damage services will offer assistance with insurance, so ask the professional restoration experts to note down everything. If they can send the bill directly to the company, it is always an added benefit.
- Reduce your losses. Check if you can clear a few of your belongings. For example, wet carpets and mattresses can cause a further mold problem in the house. Unless there are other hazards, you can remove certain things.
Check online now to find storm damage services in your area!